31 July 2008

Learning from My Kids

Lately, God has been teaching me some lessons through my children. Lessons about myself, my parenting and most especially my relationship with Him.

Lesson 1: Unconditional Love
No matter how many times I reprimand them or nag or scold, or discipline them or turn them away when I'm in a really crabby mood, all my three kids still manage to come up to me just to give me a hug with a heart-melting "Love you, Ma" to match.

And I hear God saying, "I love you just like that. Nevermind that you're upset with Me at times or don't want to talk to Me or that you just plain ignore Me. I love you just the same and I will never ever turn you away."

Then I also realize that I really should be careful with my kids' fragile emotions. The thought that if Christ doesn't come back just yet and they get to grow up into adults, makes me promise myself to be a better parent--a more loving mom--so as not to leave emotional scars on their tender hearts.

Lesson 2: Faith
My children always believe what I tell them. Period. And they think I could do just about anything. The idea that I sometimes can't draw them a Parasaurolophus (one of their dinosaurs) is simply unthinkable. I'm supposed to know how to draw that or to make a paper cutout of it. They have a fit if I seriously tell them that I really really don't know how to make it.

I can hear God telling me, "You know I can do absolutely anything. Nothing, absolutely nothing is impossible or too hard for Me. So why don't you just hand over that ministry situation or co-worker relationship that you think is impossible to fix. I can make it much better if You just believe and let Me work on it."

I also realize that I have to live my faith in the God of the impossible in front of my children if I want them to learn how to trust God absolutely. I must first set the example.

Lesson 3: Pay Attention
Just these past couple of weeks I keep hearing myself tell my eldest son, "Caleb! Pay attention! Listen well to instructions. Pay attention to them. Instructions are very important. You won't know what to do without them...are you listening?"

I feel like I have to repeat those same sentences to him every so often these days. But just last week while I was running my usual tirade about paying attention, I suddenly stopped. It was like God was telling me in a loud voice, "You should practice that yourself...paying attention." I also heard Him say almost audibly, "Have you been paying attention to what I've been trying to tell you? Are you listening my child?"

Too often, I now realized how I always seemed to be in a hurry during my time with God. I need to pay attention more to Him if I ever want to fulfill my life's purpose. I also need to pay attention to my husband and children before I expect them to pay attention to me as well. Reciprocity. Mutuality.

Three major life lessons, I must say. I may not have mastered them, I admit. But I'm getting there--learning to apply them everyday, a step at a time. Easier said than done. But still I'm getting there. And getting better.

5 comments:

Pinoy Pan de Sal said...

Hi Boh,

Thanks for this post. I'm really encouraged by your insights. I'm currently learning lesson 2 - intensive training nga e.

BOH said...

G2, nice to know you were encouraged...yup, God's lessons are kinda tough at times. But it's for our own good naman. He has the best intentions for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Boh! I echo Gigi's statement. Your post is a good reminder that: 1) God loves us unconditionally; 2) we have a big God; and 3) I've not paying attention to God's leadings (as in).

Thanks for this post. Godspeed.

P.S. BTW, would you be so kind as to repost this over at OO (WordPress and Ning)? People will be encouraged/inspired by this. Thanks in advance!

BOH said...

Hi J! thanks. sure, will post it on OO. Praying all is well with you and markus.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Boh! Thanks for reposting this on Oikos Online. I saw it na.

I was thinking, why not have a food blog someday? Yung parang express recipes or cooking tips for people on the go. I saw your malunggay tip in Gigi's blog comments box. And she's right: you're so creative in the kitchen!

I like your pasta meals! I remember your baon during our CBN days.